Seasoned Strategic Planning Consulting Services
We can facilitate the planning process with creative techniques, planning tools, and interactive sessions. While we cannot make decisions for you, no consultant can, we can provide guidance and understanding through the strategic planning process and as a trusted partner who takes the time to understand your vision, your market, your risks, and your constraints, we will help you create the right action plan and help you in ensuring that your vision is clear and articulated in a way that everyone understands it.
Whether you are simply looking for guidance in developing your organization's mission, vision, and values statements, an overview of what strategic planning is, or someone to facilitate your entire strategic planning process, 360 Performance has the ability to meet your needs and ensure your organization is on the right track to instilling your strategic vision.
Our Approach to Strategic Plan Development & Implementation Services
Whether you need support for a single-day, strategy offsite to update or revisit an existing plan Or you require a more comprehensive approach, such as the one described below, in order to develop a completely new plan from scratch, our experience and flexibility enable us to design an approach that will suit the operating requirements and constraints of your business.
In the case of a business that is developing a strategic plan for the first time or one whose existing plan requires a completely fresh take, the process described here has delivers proven results to any organization:
The bedrock of our successful, Team-Based Strategic Planning Process are:
· An open, candid, fact-based assessment of a company’s current and prospective operating environment
· Customized, structured planning Conferences, carefully designed and facilitated by 360 Performance consultants, against concrete outcome goals
· A parallel, “Offline,” Feedback/Input Process, “interleaved” with planning Conferences, that enables representatives of a company’s key stakeholder groups to review and influence in-process planning material, as well as to provide fresh, “front-end” inputs to planning Conference discussions and deliberations
This approach facilitates broader organizational involvement in the kind of high-level planning that is often the exclusive purview of only senior-most executives.
Since commitment and ownership are always a function of involvement, our Team-Based Strategic Planning Process not only provides a leadership team with the data, setting, process and support they need to achieve alignment among themselves, it also ensures the kind of stakeholder involvement that’s needed to build broader ownership for the final plan and commitment to its ultimate implementation.
Getting Started: Strategic Plan Development
The “Strategic Planning Model,” shown here, lays out our most comprehensive Team-Based Strategic Planning Process at a glance.
It begins with:
· Confidential Executive Interviews of the Planning Team members, conducted by the 360 Performance consultant who will be leading the Strategic Planning Process
· Preparation of the Environmental Scan, a “snap-shot” of the organizations:
o macro business environment
o major competitors
o financial and organizational health.
This contextual material, as well as a thorough SWOTS analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats), serves to lay the factual foundation upon which all subsequent planning Conference deliberations are based.
The Strategic Planning Conferences
The Planning Conferences represent the heart of the Team-Based Strategic Planning Process. A configuration of three, two-day sessions, taking place over as little as three months, has proven suitable for many clients, but, again, our experience enables us to customize this schedule, as required, to suit client needs.
The accompanying “Architecture” depicts the key strategic questions the Planning Team works through in the course of the Conferences and the sequence in which they confront these questions.
360 Performance consultants play the role of content-neutral moderator/facilitator/trainer, and catalyst at all Conferences. This ensures:
· Unbiased management of the content agenda and the deliberative process
· The CEO’s interaction as a full participant vs. obligatory “meeting leader”
· A healthy confrontation of critical, yet sometimes sensitive, issues identified in Executive Interviews and surfaced anonymously and “safely” by the consultant/facilitator,
· High-productivity sessions based on a proven approach vs. “making it up as you go along.”
“Offline” Organizational Feedback/Input Process
Between the formal Planning Conferences, members of the Planning Team serve as “Task Team” Leaders. Following a process provided by 360 Performance, “Task Team” Leaders meet with representatives from the organization’s broader constituencies to:
· Review and prepare feedback on previous Conference draft outputs and outcomes
· Provide input to the strategic questions to be addressed in subsequent Conferences.
“Task Team” Leaders prepare this “Offline” material for presentation and discussion at the Planning Conferences, thus ensuring substantive stakeholder input to the Strategic Planning Process.
This in-process involvement before a strategic plan is final builds awareness and ownership for the planning process itself and maximizes the chances for broader organizational “buy-in” for the strategic plan that results. In terms of effective implementation, this approach provides a leadership team with far better chances of gaining traction for a new direction than if, as is so often the case, their strategic plan had been “hatched” privately behind closed doors. In this case, the likelihood of a successful strategic plan implementation is much stronger.